Ebenezer Lutheran Church had a humble beginning. German immigrants who had settled in this area west of St. Louis felt the need for a church in the community: a church close to home so they could attend regularly and be active participants. They wanted the blessings of God in their daily lives as their community grew.
On September 1, 1846, a congregation was formed. It was called The Evangelical Lutheran Protestant Church at Johannesburg, and met in a log house on what would later become the Harvey and Esther Hoemann farm.
Our church was reorganized and renamed Ebenezer in 1849. A log church was built on the present site, and it served until a frame church was built in 1863. In 1868, the congregation joined the synod that had been founded by Saxon Lutherans from Perry County in 1847, now known as the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod.
In 1896, as part of the congregation's 50th anniversary, the present brick building was constructed at a cost of $3,073. This church building has undergone many renovations and additions over the years.
On December 30, 1968, fire caused by a lightning strike severely damaged the sanctuary. The fire started in the pipe organ console, causing damage to the choir loft, ceiling and furnishings. A re-dedication of the repaired church building, new organ and furnishings was held April 20, 1970.
The teaching of God's Word and Lutheran doctrine has been foremost throughout our church's history. A school was founded and maintained for 106 years until its closing in 1952. Today the tradition of education continues with Sunday School, confirmation classes, Bible studies and Vacation Bible School.
As part of the Great Commission, our members have served God by serving their neighbors. Ebenezer's organizations, including the Ladies Aid, Men's Club, Mission Society, Altar Guild and Choir, work locally and in conjunction with worldwide missions. We sponsor an annual picnic the second Sunday in June and a sausage dinner the fourth Sunday in October. Our 40-acre campus serves as a site for community gatherings, and is a favorite venue for walkers who want to exercise and take in the splendor of God's creation.
By placing the great stone near the entrance to the church, the congregation wished to always remember that God is our “Stone of Help.” This church has flourished for more than 170 years by the Grace of God. From its founding – literally in the wilderness – to the challenges of adapting to a more suburban community, God has graced us with His presence. He has gathered our hopes, our dreams and our prayers, and He will empower us to surmount whatever challenges occur in the future.
Hitherto hath the LORD helped us. Amen!